Universal Immunization Programme
(Scope and Scale)
• Rapidly changing landscape of Universal Immunization Programme
• Two milestones achieved
• Vaccine Logistics & Cold Chain Management
• National Cold Chain Resource Centre (NCCRC), Pune and National Cold Chain & Vaccine Management Resource Centre (NCCVMRC), NIHFW, New Delhi established to provide technical training to cold chain technicians in repair & maintenance of cold chain equipment.
• National Cold Chain Management Information System (NCCMIS) to track cold chain equipment inventory, availability and functionality.
• Rotavirus vaccine (RVV)
• Japanese Encephalitis(JE)
• JE vaccination: One time campaign strategy single dose JE vaccine targeting all children from 1 to <15 years of age JE vaccination is included into RI in endemic districts. • 268 JE endemic districts (including 37 identified in April’18) identified across 21 states – campaigns completed in 230 districts JE now part of RI. • Around 15.5 crore children immunized during the campaign • 35 high burden districts (including 4 identified in April’18) identified in 3 states for Adult JE vaccination in endemic blocks (Assam, UP, West Bengal). • Adult JE vaccination campaign completed in 31 districts; more than 3.3 crore beneficiaries aged 15-65 years were vaccinated. • Tetanus & adult Diphtheria (Td) vaccine • Diphtheria cases reported among school going children and adults. • Tetanus with adult Diphtheria (Td) vaccine recommended by National Technical Advisory Group on Immunization (NTAGI). • Td vaccine will provide protection against both Tetanus and Diphtheria in population above 10 years. • Td vaccine will replace 2 doses of TT or single booster dose of TT given to pregnant woman and booster doses to children given at 10 and 16 years of age. • Td vaccine will be introduced in early 2019. • Mission Indradhanush (MI) • Strategy: Mission Indradhanush (MI) • Performance: Mission Indradhanush • Impact of IMI in identified districts • Measles- Rubella Campaign • Uniqueness of Measles- Rubella Campaign • Measles-Rubella campaign launched on 5th February, 2017 at Bangalore, Karnataka • Highest level political involvement • Measles elimination one of highlights of Budget speech 2017-18 • MR campaign: Key points • MR Vaccine Campaign: Implementation Strategy • Inter-sectoral coordination • MR Campaign Experience • Campaign Challenges • Optimize National, State and District task forces for convergence – Strengthening inter-departmental coordination • Sufficient preparatory time for SIA • Preparedness assessment (Go/Delayed Go) activity is critical • Special attention on School strategy and Urban area planning • Strengthening Communication and Media strategy, including social media management • Engagement of pediatricians & private practitioners • Strengthening supportive supervision • Pre, intra and post-campaign monitoring • Plan post-campaign sweeping based on RCM and administrative coverage data • Measles-Rubella Campaign – following Phase 1 • Improved School Strategy • Amitabh Bachchan, Bollywood actor – Print & electronic medium • Dr Devi Shetty, Famous Cardiologist • Factoid videos on MR Appeals and endorsement for MR campaign from religious leaders • AEFI committee meeting • AEFI trainings for MO & Health worker • Tagging of session sites to identified AEFI centers • AEFI Kits supplied to each ANM, Supervisor and facility • AEFI communication plan • AEFIs are promptly being managed at session sites • Measles Rubella campaign – Media coverage Eliminating measles, controlling rubella- Deccan Herald Mission to bust rumours about MR vaccination- Mirror Rubella vaccine of high quality: WHO India head- TOI Enlightenment on Hindu India accelerating efforts to eliminate measles and control rubella by 2020 - Business Standard Vaccine safe: paediatricians- Hindu MR vaccine is safe, says Collector, urges parents not to hesitate - Hindu Puducherry health officials allay fears after 16 students administered with MR vaccine complain of giddiness- TOI Childhood immunisation is the game changer- Hindustan Times Vaccine safe: paediatricians- DNA MMR vaccine at mass prayers- • Overall Social Media Discourse False messages on: • Vaccine causes infertility • Imported Vaccine • Campaign targeting particular section • Vaccine causing autism • New diseases • Private practitioners in India giving measles-rubella (MR) or measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine since many years • Indian Academy of Paediatrics (IAP) endorses the strategy of MR vaccination • MR vaccine is manufactured in India, is duly licensed by regulatory authority DCGI Vaccine is WHO pre-qualified • Country is a major supplier of MR vaccine to the world