What do you think of the live #BelowTheLine challenge? My daughter is going to live with less than $1.50 a day to raise money for the UN's work with refugees: https://www.livebelowtheline.com/me/jfaujour

Tags: hunger, refugees

Views: 296

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What a wonderful question? A deliberate living below the line challenge to me and simply put is deferred gratification for the betterment of humanity. This can be exemplified in diverse ways. But the bottom line is frugality such as what one has failed to consumed like a spend drift  is what one has saved and what one has saved definitely becomes what one has invested.Investing in lives of persons that are hungry, in  pains and tribulations at times like this as we can all see around the world, the Middle East in particular should appeal to our sentiments as one family of humanity.Your daughter has invested in the lives of a people which is a moral responsibility and as such all and sundry should do the same. 

Thanks, Valentine. I'm of two minds because I worry that this kind of challenge can sometimes lead the general public to think they understand what it is actually like to have to cope with extreme poverty year in and year out. But at the same time, I agree with your points about deferred gratification and frugality. My daughter is also a vegan, which is another way to help the world live more frugally to protect the planet for the future. And I love that she chose to support the UN's work with refugees, who are unfortunately becoming more and more numerous as the number of people displaced by humanitarian disasters increases.

Extreme poverty situation is real, hunger is real, I have watched and see refugees suffer it. It is not a figment of imagination. Humanitarian support should continue unabated and workers with passion should as well increase on an exponential curve. Bravo to refugee workers in the Middle-East and the world at large.

RSS

Carnegie Council

The Crack-Up: Dwight Eisenhower & the Road Trip that Changed America, with Brian C. Black

In 1919, a young Army officer named Dwight Eisenhower, along with a "Mad Max"-style military convoy, set out on a cross-country road trip to examine the nascent state of America's roads. Penn State Altoona's Professor Brian C. Black explains how this trip influenced Eisenhower's decisions decades later, both as general and president, and laid the groundwork for the rise of petroleum-based engines and the interstate highway system.

AI in the Arctic: Future Opportunities & Ethical Concerns, with Fritz Allhoff

How can artificial intelligence improve food security, medicine, and infrastructure in Arctic communities? What are some logistical, ethical, and governance challenges? Western Michigan's Professor Fritz Allhoff details the future of technology in this extreme environment, which is being made more accessible because of climate change. Plus he shares his thoughts on some open philosophical questions surrounding AI.

The Ethical Algorithm, with Michael Kearns

Over the course of a generation, algorithms have gone from mathematical abstractions to powerful mediators of daily life. They have made our lives more efficient, yet are increasingly encroaching on our basic rights. UPenn's Professor Michael Kearns shares some ideas on how to better embed human principles into machine code without halting the advance of data-driven scientific exploration.

SUBSCRIBE TODAY

VIDEOS

SUPPORT US

GEO-GOVERNANCE MATTERS

© 2019   Created by Carnegie Council.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The views and opinions expressed in the media, comments, or publications on this website are those of the speakers or authors and do not necessarily reflect or represent the views and opinions held by Carnegie Council.